15 August 2007

From Heidi Maas

Hello from the USA!
This is my final entry for the 2007 India blog , but India is far from being far from my mind, even if it is in miles. Please feel free to write back and ask questions; I can more easily respond now that I’m in the States.

When I left India, I was still trying to process everything I experienced there. Fortunately, I had the blessed opportunity to attend the CLC Youth Conference in Como, Colorado shortly after my return. Spending time with fellow believers in the Word helped me find perspective and sort through the new information in my head and heart. The theme for the conference sessions was Jer. 29:11 "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.'"

We don’t always know why the Lord calls us down a particular path. I did not understand why God would want me to go all the way to India and teach children when I had no previous Sunday school, VBS, or any other teaching experience. So I did not go to India thinking, "I should go do VBS in overseas because teaching is something I really know how to do." Nope. It was more like, "Heidi, this is God. Pack your bags. I have work for you in India." God proved that He does not need His instruments of service to always come as pre-packaged, ready-to-go tools. Most often He starts off with just clay. We think we are not qualified, but we forget that the Potter shapes the clay into something useful on His wheel. Yes, as a lump of clay I was useless, so God called me to that wheel while in India. I was nervous to teach, but God equipped me for "every good work," moment by moment. He gave me courage to publicly pray for and teach the children, strength to settle tensions among the orphans, and confidence to speak with a Hindu for hours on the plane. He made provisions for me to be able to enjoy the food, the heat, and the wild traffic. The Lord also gave me tolerance for the smells and protection from the pollution in the cities. These were all gifts He provided out of His grace!

And now that I'm back, I'm finding out that the plans He had in sending me on this trip are not limited to India nor the 26 days I spent there. This trip to India is proving to be only the beginning of a bigger plan for the Lord’s Kingdom....

May the Lord bless you all and keep you all. I thank you for all your prayers and praise the Lord for keeping everyone safe on this trip so that the workers were enabled to scatter seed in His kingdom! Glory, glory and praise to our almighty God!!!

Your sister and fellow servant in the Word,
Heidi Spring Maas

"So is My Word that goes out from My mouth: It will not return to Me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." Isaiah 55:11