23 July 2007

From Laura Hulke

Hello all -

I just wanted to send you all a quick update to let you know that I am feeling much better than yesterday. You might have read Pastor Reim's update on the blog that I was a little under the weather. I was running a slight fever and was very tired. I also had a little bit of an upset stomach, but it wasn't caused by food poisoning. Today, I am still a little out of it, but well enough to teach and all.

Not sure if I told you about Saturday yet. We went to a memorial park for the grandson of Gandhi. It was very peaceful there, and we were even able to have an impromptu VBS class of sorts! It was nice to get away from the noise and bustle of the city for a few hours. We even fed the monkeys. :-)

Sunday, we went to church in a village close to Kadapa. I have no idea what the name of it was. I wasn't feeling well throughout the service. During Pastor Reim's sermon, I decided it would be best if I laid down inside the van, so I went to the back of the church to tell Victor. He thought I needed a bathroom, so he led me outside, and a crowd of children followed. I finally was able to explain what I wanted, but I wasn't able to stay out there long because the children and others passing by were constantly peeking through the windows of the van. Not exactly relaxing. After church, I came back and slept for almost the rest of the day and night.

Today, we all went to Victor's house for Bible class. Alison and I left to pick up some pens for the children, and then we went back to the hotel. We've found a decent restaurant to eat at, so I was able to eat something for the first time in a day and a half. That chocolate milkshake really hit the spot!

This afternoon, we taught part of a class to a group of children from the surrounding area. We later found out that they didn't go to Victor's church. They were such good children and sat and listened so well that we were disappointed when they had to leave partway through Pastor Reim's lesson to go back to school. Apparently there was a little bit of miscommunication as to how long they were able to stay. All we can hope for is that the seed of the Gospel that we planted flourishes through the work of the Holy Spirit.

We leave Kadapa in two days! :-) We're looking forward to meeting up with the other groups soon.

Best wishes to all of you,
Laura